Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears…Oh My!


When I first started this post a couple of days ago, I intended to tell of my exciting and exhausting days as stage mother of two girls performing in a local production of The Wizard of Oz. Well, things have changed and I should change the blog post title to Lions and Tigers and Bears…AND ME!!! I am so exhausted! And I am very cranky! I have been going non-stop for days; leaving the house for dress rehearsals at 4:45pm and returning home at 11:00pm; getting up again at 5:45am and starting my daycare/homeschooling mommy/wife/mother duties and then leaving for rehearsal again at 4:45. Today is Thursday, the one rehearsal free day and evening before the play opens, and I've had a day filled with a visit to the radiologist for me, RSP, speech and an eye and hearing exam for Chloe and St Patrick's Day festivities for my daycare kids. I am pooped!!!

So, how does all of this complaining relate to weight loss and lifestyle change? Well, throughout this very difficult week I have stayed on my diet. It has taken planning and early dinners and going to bed pretty hungry rather than eat too late, but I feel very proud of myself. In the past I would have used this as an excuse to buy a little fast food, or maybe some licorice to chew on during those long evenings, but I didn't. I keep reminding myself that this is how I fall off the wagon every time. I justify why I should be able to eat something that is not very healthy. I tell myself that I'm in a situation that makes it impossible to stay on diet. I start with one thing and then, like falling dominos, I am sliding off the wagon and under the wheel! I want to lose weight; I want to feel differently about my body; I want to feel better about myself; I want all of this more than I want licorice or fast food. I have to remind myself of these goals daily. Sometimes I have to remind myself every hour or many times in an hour. I want different results than I've had in the past and I know that requires different behaviors.

This week has been difficult and wonderful all at the same time. I feel tired physically, but very strong emotionally…and in control!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Robin! I do the same...I don't hit the fast food, but I start grabbing the kids' snacks, eating handfuls of m&ms, and just mindlessly eating when I get to feeling stressed and overwhelmed. I realize it isn't even about hunger, it's more feeling overwhelmed that triggers my poor eating. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete